The Stefaniensaal, which is often called the small brother of the “Golden Hall” of the Vienna Musikverein, was built between 1905 and 1908 according to the plans by Leopold Theyer. The hall has a rich stuccoed ceiling and presents portraits of fourteen famous composers in Grisaille style painted by Julius Schmid. This concert hall, which has a capacity of 1,100 persons, is the venue for concerts of recreation – Großes Orchester Graz. It was also the setting for several styriarte musical recordings with Nikolaus Harnoncourt who especially likes the high acoustic quality of the Stefaniensaal.
This magnificent concert hall, which is one of the most beautiful and acoustically best concert halls of the world, is located in the heart of the “Congress Graz” building.